His preferred support is stretched 90lb Saunders Waterford for the smoother surface. His favourite brush is a no. 10 filbert oxhair and they are supported with a squirrel mop and a nylon rigger. He uses transparent colours: burnt sienna, raw sienna, ultramarine, permanent rose, alizarin crimson, aureolin, cadmium lemon, cadmium orange, cerulean blue, winsor blue and winsor violet.
Dennis used flowers for our demonstration and then added a cottage shape on the right-hand side. He enjoys painting cottages and dry stone walls in the Purbeck hills.
- Apply the colour and leave it. He never wipes preferring to lighten with clean water and a brush.
- Don't touch an almost-dry wash
- Use the best quality paints
- Place additional colour to the base of a shape
- Mix, don't buy, greens - for example: cadmium orange and ultramarine
Dennis brough portraits and other examples of his work to show us.